Wednesday 10 July 2013

Goatmilkinggirl is a master of science

I successfully defended my master's thesis! Sadly my master's is not in goat milking; it's in biomechanics. <sigh> At the defense I gave a 20-minute presentation and then audience members had the opportunity to ask questions before the examiners began their questioning. Randy raised his hand. My supervisor said afterwards that he had never seen a spouse ask a question before. I was able to answer the question; we are still married.

As well as writing and defending my thesis, I thought it would be fun to sew a dress to wear to my defense. I admit now that it turned into a slightly bigger project than I had thought it would be... but I finished the dress with several days to spare. During the project the kitchen table looked like this for several weeks and so we ate on the couch:

Here I am, post-defense, enjoying a well-earned beer in my dress in the sunshine. The pattern is from a local pattern-maker and seamstress and it's called the Cambie dress after the Cambie street that we live on.

Enjoying a beer in front of our building.
My Cambie dress.



















After finishing the dress I sewed book bags as thank you gifts for my supervisor and another researcher who was incredibly helpful. I used lining fabric with little whales on it because they both study whales (unfortunately the straps hide them in the photo). The bags have a subtle geekiness - the dividing line between the two fabrics is the shape of the curve on one of the plots in my thesis.

Masculine version (whale lining is there, just not visible).
Book bag with whale lining.

The inspiration for the bag design.
 
And then I promised Randy no more projects for the rest of the summer. Well, maybe just a little one; he won't even notice.
 

No comments: