Thursday 3 April 2014

Last ski day of the season

I had my last ski day of the season last Sunday. I did well to squeeze in a couple more days recently because I thought my last day had been at the end of January. I've been having problems with pain in my lower legs that's getting worse every year and the last day I skied (at Whistler) I had to stop and take my boot off every run because my leg hurt so much and my foot was asleep!

I went to a sports medicine doctor and was diagnosed with compartment syndrome, which means the fascia surrounding the muscle groups in my lower legs is too tight so when I exercise the muscles cramp and the nerves pinch and tingle. Our bodies are weird and wonderful things. I had been managing but with extra weight and blood volume even walking at any pace faster than a saunter was painful so I guess it's not a surprise that skiing was out! Plus, my doctor did say I probably shouldn't be skiing anymore anyway.

And then in February I got a cold that took forever to go away so I had very little activity for a month and my legs had a good rest. Then the sun came out and Randy was going to Cypress (our local mountain) so I thought I'd take my skis along just in case. I also took snowshoes in case skiing didn't work and a magazine in case nothing worked! But I lasted for 6 runs! The funny part was that it was my lower legs holding me back, not my general energy level or belly!

I was so happy to get in a few final turns but now I'm looking forward to spring. The snow on the local mountains won't last much longer anyway.

No comments: