Sunday 26 July 2015

Windsurfing in the gorge

We just returned from a week of camping and windsurfing in Hood River, Oregon (aka the gorge). Before setting out we had only been home from our trip to Ontario for less than a week and I had a lot to do in that time. Somehow packing for the trip went on the back burner, even though I would normally start way in advance (I take after my mother in that regard). I started packing for a week-long camping trip 4 hours before departure time. Here's a list of the things we forgot:

  • sleeping bag (we bought a blanket at Walmart that will serve as a picnic blanket in future - something we needed anyway)
  • novel (not necessary - I have a toddler)
  • frying pan (bacon?!)
  • wash tub (large pot works well. Randy prefers this anyway as it's more efficient.)
  • flashlight (luckily not our only one, but the nice big one that's like a lantern. It's still mia.)
  • tablecloth (dirt is good for the immune system)
We had perfect weather - sunshine and wind. There are very active rail lines on either side of the river so Helen learned the baby sign language sign for train.
Randy in action
me
Barge! These scare me so I stop and wait as soon as I spot one coming down the river.


 

Thank you for the camping high chair Kelly! It contains the mess. 
 At a rest stop on the way home Helen was in high gear going to see a dog and she tripped on a curb and face planted on the sidewalk ... first fat lip. She still walks with her hands up in ours so she didn't break the fall. Here's a photo of her purple lip.

 We made the 7-hour drive home in one day. I was thankful for our Nexus cards because they saved us half an hour at the border and for our newly leased garage (former downstairs tenant used to have it) because we could pull the car in and unload this morning.

Five days until we leave for our next trip! We're already 3/4 packed but maybe this will be the year I finally make a master camping list. 

No comments: